Egyptian koshari this is the favored recipe ever, So easy to prepare and maybe this recipe is the ingredient you will ever need. Everyone needs a good recipe and Finally I learned to make this recipe, and I will share the secret recipe here with easy, flexible, and yummy!
Hello everybody, it is Louise, welcome to my recipe page. Today, I will show you a way to make a special dish, egyptian koshari. One of my favorites. For mine, I'm gonna make it a little bit unique. This will be really delicious.
Egyptian koshari is one of the most favored of current trending meals on earth. It's appreciated by millions daily. It is easy, it is fast, it tastes delicious. They're nice and they look fantastic. Egyptian koshari is something which I've loved my whole life.
To begin with this recipe, we have to prepare a few ingredients. You can cook egyptian koshari using 30 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to make Egyptian koshari:
- Prepare of For the Crispy onion toppings.
- Take 1 of large onion, sliced into thin rings.
- Make ready of Salt.
- Take 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Take 1/2 cup of cooking oil.
- Take of For tomato sauce.
- Prepare of Cooking oil.
- Take 1 of small onion, grated.
- Get 4 of garlic cloves, minced.
- Take 1 tsp of ground coriander.
- Prepare 1/2 of –1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional).
- Make ready 1 (28 oz) of can tomato sauce.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper.
- Get 1 of –2 tbsp distilled white vinegar.
- Get of For koshari.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of brown lentils, picked over and well-rinsed.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of medium-grain rice, rinsed, soaked in water for 15 minutes, drained.
- Make ready 1/2 tsp of each salt and pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of coriander.
- Make ready 2 cups of elbow pasta.
- Get of Cooking oil.
- Take of Water.
- Make ready 1 (15 oz) of can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and warmed.
- Get of For vinegar sauce.
- Make ready Half of cup of vinegar.
- Make ready 1/4 cup of water.
- Make ready 1 teaspoon of cumin.
- Take of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare of I teaspoon chili powder.
- Make ready 3 cloves of Minced garlic.
Instructions to make Egyptian koshari:
- Make the crispy onion topping. Sprinkle the onion rings with salt, then toss them in the flour to coat. Shake off excess flour. In a large skillet, heat the cooking oil over medium-high heat, cook the onion rings, stirring often, until they turn a nice caramelized brown. Onions must be crispy, but not burned (15-20 minutes)..
- Make the Tomato Sauce. In a saucepan, heat 1 tbsp cooking oil. Add the grated onion, cook on medium-high until the onion turns a translucent gold (do not brown). Now add the garlic, coriander, and red pepper flakes, if using, and saute briefly until fragrant (30-45 seconds more). Stir in tomato sauce and pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens (15 minutes or so). Stir in the distilled white vinegar, and turn the heat to low. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve..
- Make the Koshari Cook the lentils. Bring lentils and 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot or saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook until lentils are just tender (15-17 minutes). Drain from water and season with a little salt. (Note: when the lentils are ready, they should not be fully cooked. They should be only par-cooked and still have a bite to them as they need to finish cooking with the rice.
- Now, for the rice. Drain the rice from its soaking water. Combine the par-cooked lentils and the rice in the saucepan over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp cooking oil, salt, pepper, and coriander. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring regularly..
- Add warm water to cover the rice and lentil mixture by about 1 1/2 inches (you’ll probably use about 3 cups of water here). Bring to a boil; the water should reduce a bit. Now cover and cook until all the liquid has been absorbed and both the rice and lentils are well cooked through (about 20 minutes). Keep covered and undisturbed for 5 minutes or so..
- Now make the pasta. While the rice and lentils are cooking, make the pasta according to package instructions by adding the elbow pasta to boiling water with a dash of salt and a little oil. Cook until the pasta is al dente. Drain..
- Cover the chickpeas and warm in the microwave briefly before serving..
- For the vinegar sauce. Mix the half cup vinegar, 1/4 cup of water, cumin, garlic, chili powder, paprika. Mix it all together well.
- Put it All Together! To serve, fluff the rice and lentils with a fork and transfer to a serving platter. Top with the elbow pasta and 1/2 of the tomato sauce, then the chickpeas, and finally 1/2 of the crispy onions for garnish. Serve, passing the remaining sauce, crispy onions and vinegar sauce separately. Enjoy.
So that's going to wrap it up for this special food egyptian koshari recipe. Thanks so much for reading. I am confident you will make this at home. There's gonna be more interesting food in home recipes coming up. Remember to save this page in your browser, and share it to your family, friends and colleague. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!
Egyptian koshari Recipe Video: